Saturday, February 26, 2011

One Small Change :: Laundry

Ok...I admit, I got a little ahead of myself.
I said my March One Small Change project
would be laundry but I just couldn't help myself & I couldn't be happier.
I really am not sure what took me so long to make this laundry soap. I've been reading about it online for years now. I've bookmarked & saved recipes. Maybe it was not knowing what washing soda was? Maybe I thought it would be difficult?

Boy, was I wrong. It took less then 5 minutes to whip up!

My dear friend & I decided to give it a go.
Every small step is one closer to self sustainability, we declared.
Washing soda is found in the laundry aisle at your local grocery store. It comes in a big box usually by Arm & Hammer (under $3!) & can be found next to the
Borax which you'll also need for this recipe.
I've used biodegradable soaps for years.
When I cloth diapered, Biokleen, Ecover & Bac-out were staples for us.
Then for awhile I ordered Shaklees concentrated powder.
Most recently, because it is so cost effective, I've been using Trader Joe's Lavender Laundry Soap. I also have a jar of Yoreganics Soapnuts that I just LOVE & use quite often as well.
So far, I have to say....the homemade soap has given us the fluffiest, cleanest laundry in years.
This recipe is a keeper.
{And, both the beautiful ceramic canister I found at the thrift store for $1 + the cool handmade coffee scoop my friend gave me makes it even more enjoyable to do laundry! Now, I just can't wait for it to warm up to start hanging it out to dry!}





Homemade Laundry Powder

************************************************************
2 cups (finely) grated castile soap*

1 cup borax

1 cup baking soda

1 cup soda ash (washing soda)

*** I've used Dr. Bronners soap for almost 15 years now so it was natural to use it in the laundry as well. This soap is amazing. If you've never used it, it can be found online or at most health food stores. One and a half .5 oz bars makes about two cups. So far, lavender has always been our families favorite for everything but I do think I'll try some peppermint for our next batch as everyone seems to love it for laundry soap. ***


Mix everything together & store in an airtight jar.

Depending on your water, you might need to adjust the sodas a bit & the amount used per load. I use 3 TBSP per load.

You may need to give the jar a shake once in a while to

prevent the soap flakes from settling to the bottom.
*********************************************************************
Happy Washing!
***************
Love & Light!
Sara








1 comment:

  1. Sounds like me! I've used natural laundry soaps for years but despite all the great things I hear about making my own I still haven't done it...I did buy some Dr. Bonner's a few years ago to try - one of these days maybe?

    ReplyDelete